About the dig:
In 1684, the Spanish decided to move their Mission San Buenaventura de Guadalquini from St. Simons Island, Georgia, to protect the community from French and English slave raiders. The group, comprised of mostly Native Americans, relocated to Black Hammock Island, Florida, and the new mission was referred to as Santa Cruz y Buenaventura de Guadalquini, often called simply Mission Santa Cruz. It was inhabited from 1684 until 1696. Two previous excavations conducted by the University of North Florida(UNF) established the location of the mission. This public archaeological field school will further develop the conclusions reached during the previous excavations.
Public Archaeological Field School 2015
Hosted by the NPS, Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve
Held June 15-19 & June 22-26, 2015
Archaeological Institute of America
The Archaeological Institute of America--Jacksonville Society and the Beaches Museum and History Park will present the fourth annual International Archaeology Day fair on Oct. 21, 2017 at the museum, 381 Beach Boulevard, Jacksonville Beach from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. A lecture by Vicki K. Rolland will take place at noon in the historic 1887 chapel in the park. Rolland is an expert with the Archaeology Lab at the University of North Florida and will discuss the information that can be gleaned from ancient faunal remains recovered from archaeological sites.